Join our Team! Why United Way of York County, SC:
Do you want to be part of a passionate team focused on improving the lives of others? United Way of York County, SC (UWYC) is seeking a Resource Development Director.
Join our mission to help 3,000 York County families achieve financial stability by 2030. For over 80 years, when there has been a problem without a solution, UWYC has convened partners and delivered innovative programs to meet the need. Today, we are helping families become financially stable by focusing on Workforce Development, Financial Literacy, and Economic and Family Support.
TO APPLY: email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsible for identifying, cultivating, and expanding significant individual donor relationship management strategies across the UWYC’s portfolio. Ensures the development and execution of comprehensive relationship management strategies and the achievement of assigned growth, retention, participation, and revenue goals. Creates and executes the initiatives necessary to establish and preserve the United Way as the primary philanthropic conduit between individuals, their employers, and the community in which they operate. Establishes the delivery of year-round engaging experience to all donors and volunteers. This position reports to the President of United Way of York County, SC
- Works in partnership with President, staff, campaign volunteers and board to ensure that the funding needs of UWYC are met and sustained to increase the impact and influence of UWYC in York County.
- New Business Development via strategic business recruitment plans.
- Obtain and keep current professional certifications as necessary to perform the job.
- Participate in online training, webinars, and when possible, attend seminars to keep abreast of industry and system best practices and enhancements.
- Develop financial resources through campaign, as well as establishing and maintaining year-round relationships with traditional community partners, while nurturing new sources that yield an increase in annual fundraising.
- Manages portfolio of top-level individual donor relationships across UWYC’s footprint
- Ensures deep, strategic, year-round, sustainable relationships between the donors and prospects.
- Lead volunteers and build strong, mutually beneficial relationships with key stakeholders that increase revenue and expand opportunities.
- Supervise, coordinate, and empower volunteers (and committees) to effectively and efficiently implement key strategies related to United Way of York County, SC.
- Conduct face-to-face meetings with current donors and prospects in order to expand United Way’s influence and revenue.
- Ensure the development and implementation of campaign strategies to meet financial resource potential.
- Track revenue generation, retention, visits, and key business activity throughout the year; provide regular activity status; update projections to target and conduct the appropriate account analysis to build and refine goals.
- Research, develop, and maintain all aspects of relationship/contact management for key donors, including database management, recognition materials, and oral and written communications.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
Strategic Relationship Management (60%):
- Develop and implement plan of action to solicit sponsorship dollars leveraging corporate marketing dollars with United Way co-brand opportunities.
- Develop and implement an individual donor engagement plan to recruit, retain, and grow donors outside of the workplace campaign along with Marketing and Communications Director.
- Conduct face-to-face meetings with current individual donors and prospects to expand United Way’s influence and revenue.
- Identify CEO cultivation calls and individual donors calls and coordinate outreach with President of UWYC.
- Maintain productive functions that are producing high level results as well as implement new fundraising techniques in response to a changing environment.
- Foster creative thinking and facilitate future partnerships within corporate accounts.
Workplace Campaign (25%):
- Develop and manage the general campaign plan and timetable, utilizing a fund-raising process that assesses potential, sets goals, and helps identify volunteer leadership for future years.
- Build strong relationships with Campaign/PLS Chair, CEOs, Board of Directors, individuals, funders, and business community representatives.
- Design and implement recruitment and training programs for volunteers (Campaign strategy team and Employee Campaign Coordinators) including development of job descriptions, managing, and evaluating performance.
- Ensure correspondence and research regarding resource development between United Way Worldwide is completed in a timely manner.
- Work with Director of Marketing and Communications on all marketing and media efforts including material and message development.
- Work effectively with other functions staff members and key volunteers to provide appropriate support and value to partners.
Policy and Planning (10%):
- Collaborate with President, staff, and board to develop and implement Resource Development Section of the Strategic Plan that complements the organizational goals and funding requirements as it support UWYC’s Bold Goal.
- Review current policies and recommend practices and procedures to support organizational growth.
- Increase community awareness on various impact priority issues as appropriate to goals.
Other duties as assigned to achieve the mission of the UWYC (5%)
- Proven record of success against measurable objectives at previous company/non-profit.
- Commitment to excellence and to the mission of United Way of York County.
- Excellent interpersonal skills operating with a high degree of emotional intelligence and influence; reputation for sustaining long term donor relationships
- Capacity to build and maintain relationships with diverse groups with a focus on customer service excellence.
- Ability to appropriately present information and data in written, electronic, and oral forms to diverse target markets.
- Manages quickly changing priorities and resulting workflow; demonstrate ability to manage and prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Maintains confidentiality of all customers/stakeholders at all times.
- Works well as a “team player,” yet able to work independently when necessary.
- Internally motivated to recognize and act on opportunities to further the mission of UWYC.
United Way Professional Core Competencies for all United Way Staff
Competencies for working toward a world of economic and social opportunity for all.
- Mission Focused: The United Way’s top priority is to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: The United Way understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: The United Way understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: The United Way is dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good: creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand-Steward: The United Way is a steward of the brand and understands the role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
- Education: Minimum of bachelor’s degree in communications, social science or business.
- Minimum of five years’ experience with nonprofit organization with fundraising experience preferred. Successful and proven track record in revenue generation through peer-to-peer donor engagements and corporate development.
- Understanding of fundraising – basic selling skills (consultative selling approach preferred), workplace (annual) campaigns, leadership and major gifts, special events, sponsorships, and other significant approaches to generating revenue.
- Must possess strong communication skills, (written and oral), including public speaking experience.
- Ability to use software (MS office suite Excel/ Word and donor database) and other technology to manage data and compose reports.
- Aptitude and attitude to maximize use of volunteers.
- Motivate, train and coordinate efforts of volunteers and staff to achieve goals.
- Ability to interpret computer-generated reports and analyze data.
- General attributes should include ability to manage several projects simultaneously, work effectively with people from different backgrounds – respect diversity, participate effectively on teams, work with modest supervision and possess a positive “can-do” attitude.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and may occasionally be required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Must have a valid SC Drivers license.
Perks and Benefits:
At United Way, we’re committed to the well-being of our employees and strive to create an inclusive environment that fosters and celebrates both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Full medical, dental, and vision, and pay 100% of your premiums for medical and dental
- Life insurance and long-term disability
- PTO and 13 paid holidays
- Combination working from home and office
- Ongoing learning and development
- Simple IRA + match
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of the position.
United Way of York County, SC is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity (EEO) in recruitment, hiring, training, and promotion of persons based on merit, qualifications, and competence.
$75,000 – $85,000