Do You Have Questions?
Frequently Asked Questions
- What does United Way of York County, SC (UWYC) do?
Our bold goal is to help 3,000 York County families achieve financial stability by 2030. A financially stable family is one that can meet their needs without assistance. For more than 75 years, United Way has been the community solutions provider in York County. We are a locally-based organization dedicated to strengthening lives, helping people, and improving conditions in our own community.
- Who runs United Way of York County, SC?
A local volunteer Board of Directors and professional staff ensure that United Way is working effectively and efficiently to improve people’s lives in York County. The Board of Directors has the freedom to create policies that are responsive to local needs and reflect the priorities and core values of the residents of York County. Hundreds of local volunteers help keep UWYC a dynamic, growing, and responsive organization.
- What is the relationship between United Way of York County, SC and United Way Worldwide?
United Way Worldwide (UWW) is a national training and service center providing services to local United Ways across the country. UWW is not a governing body for local United Ways. United Way of York County’s Board of Directors chooses to participate with UWW and we pay membership dues to UWW in return for services which include use of the United Way name and logo, market research, promotional items, national advertising and training for staff. There is no national United Way, and United Way Worldwide does not act as a parent organization to local United Ways.
- How do I know that my dollars are being spent most effectively when I give to United Way?
When you give to United Way of York County, you can be assured that your gift is:
- going to meet local needs. Your dollars stay local to meet local needs
- addressing the most pressing needs in our community
- supporting partners that are financially sound and vetted by experts
- being used to support families and individuals with multiple needs
- reducing the fundraising costs of funded partners
- making the greatest difference for your neighbors in need
- Who does UWYC serve?
Partners receiving United Way funding serve residents of the entire York County area. These families and individuals are living at or below the federal poverty level.
- If I stop working or change companies, what happens to my payroll deduction pledge?
Should you stop working or change companies, your payroll deduction pledge stops as well. Your pledge through United Way is made in good faith based upon your employment. When you start a new job, ask to sign up for payroll deduction again or call UWYC for additional options. If you are retiring, please contact United Way to continue your contributions and volunteer your time.
- How can I contribute to United Way?
United Way offers several convenient options:
- You can give securely by credit card on our website – unitedwayofyc.org
- You can mail a check to United Way of York County, SC, PO Box 925, Rock Hill, SC 29731
- You can give through a payroll deduction if your workplace holds a United Way Campaign
- Contact United Way for additional options