During the winter months, United Way of York County oversees a collaboration with Bethel United Methodist Church's accommodations for homeless men. Winter 2017-2018 marks the eleventh winter that United Way of York County, SC has coordinated this vital program to serve the homeless.
Shelters in York County are scarce and the number of homeless individuals is steadily rising. The Warming Center provides a warm, safe, dry place for men to sleep during the coldest months of the year- November through March. The Center provides emergency shelter during the winter months when other year-round homeless shelters are filled to capacity. Nightly, the men are provided a meal prepared by volunteers, fellowship, a place for their personal belongings, shower facilities, and a warm bed. Additionally, case management and follow-up care is given to men to address their long-term needs as space becomes available in appropriate programs in our community.
The Men's Warming Center will be open November 12, 2017 through April 1, 2018
To support the Men's Warming Center, you can make a contribution online or text WARMING to 71777.
Contact James Jeter, email@example.com for more information.
Volunteer Opportunities at the Men's Warming Center:
- Volunteer as a shower monitor, laundry volunteer, donation volunteer, or a committee member. Volunteer Orientation will be held on October 23rd at 7:00 pm at Bethel United Methodist Church, Rock Hill.
- Prepare a meal. Community volunteers nightly prepare and serve dinner to the men. *Sign-up for meal volunteers will be available October 24th.*
- Donate Items:
- Rain ponchos
- Band Aids
- Shower shoes
- Wash cloths
- Bath size bar soap
- Large bottles of shampoo
- Large bottles of body wash
- Asprin, Tylenol, ibuprofen
- Sweat shirts and sweat pants
- Back packs
- Long sleeve shirts
- Warm gloves
- Reading glasses
- Cleaning supplies
- See more items here